Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Grieving Pet Owner


(This article was written January 2, 2013.  I told you I am a late bloomer in blogging that I kept all my thoughts in MS Words file lol.  Well, I still like to share it with you guys to serve some lessons on proper pet caring).

***
Yesterday, we lost our dear pet, Lex.

It was a devastating turn of event for my family whom we had learned to love and treated Lex not just an ordinary pet but as part of the whole family.

What made it worst was that it was New Year’s Day, a time when everybody are looking forward to  a bright new days ahead of them.  But this tragedy that struck us left us feel really, really bad.  To make it even worst, it was not just an ordinary death for him.  Something you would not want to happen to the one you love and care so much.

We left home at around 11:30 AM to attend a family reunion.  Before I left, I remember talking to him if he felt stress after the night merry making amidst all the firecrackers that greeted the New Year’s Day.  My younger daughter even run to him, grab his left and right chin and said “you’re so cute”! My husband also checked his tie to make sure he could breathe easily.  On ordinary days, we just let him roam around at our roof deck but since we will all be leaving that day my husband brought him down to serve as watch dog.  That were the last encountered we had with him before he finally left us….

We reached home from the reunion at around 5:30 PM.  My husband and I were even inviting some of our relatives who were with us on our way home to take a cup of coffee. Until my husband discover his death.  When he opened the side home window he was surprised to see Lex hung to death.

Lex had this habit of jumping every time he saw a cat walking at the side fence between my sister’s home and I. Apparently his chain clasp at the steel bar where we put his chain.  It was a horrible scene- he died standing.  His front two feet hanged in the air.  The other two almost touching the ground.  His tie was below his mouth- reason why he was not able to bark and ask for help. 

Nobody from the neighborhood notice what happened.  According to them, they never heard Lex bark.  He was so quiet during that time.  We even saw pieces of loaf bread near him which was given to him by a two year old boy visitor of my sister before he left. 

If there are other people who were more than shocked with what happened, it was my two daughters.  I really felt sorry for them.  During the whole incident, they were crying and running as if they do not know what to do.  My younger daughter even blamed herself for joining us.  She thought that if she just stayed home, she could have save Lex.  I keep on consoling her that if it is God’s will to take anybody’s life we could not do anything about it.  .

But honestly, I am also grieving so much for our dear pet.  My sister said that Lex was still barking at around 2:30 PM before her visitors left their home.  We reached home at around 5:30 PM.  Just three hours difference.  He could have been saved if we reached home early.

That night, I couldn’t sleep well.  Tears keep on running down my face.  I am missing the presence of Lex.  I won’t feel safe now especially at night.  His single bark always warns us that there was somebody near our gate. We will miss the nights, when we are all watching TV while Lex peeks on the window steel as if joining us watching our favorite telenovela.

To our dear pet Lex, sorry we were not able to save your life.   Sorry if we were not able to spent the rest of our life with you.  Sorry, sorry.   

Happy reading !


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Reply: